What UNIX do I use?

Farooq Butt fmbutt at mrbt.sw.stratus.com
Thu Nov 29 10:34:28 AEST 1990

Howdy folks-

it seems evident from the net.exchanges on this newsgroup that:

  1. AIX is badly wedged (i.e braindamaged)
  2. Its GUI is pretty strange (non X11R3/4)
  3. It seems to be a real pain to compile standard net.sources (like
     "less" and GNUemacs and G++)

Are these observations true ? If so are there any other realistic options
for RS6000 users ?  What of OSF1 ? Is that OS better in terms of
compatibility and usability...?  Why doesn't someone port sys5.4 to
the RS6000 (all the crap about UI vs. OSF notwithstanding) ? Boy
would that make IBM happy...

Kinda' amazed that anyone would drop $15,000 on a completely incompatible
kinda-UNIX system ?  Y'all must be getting great discounts from th'
boys in blue :-)

-Farooq

--
Hi-Tech Disclaimer: NOTHING in the above article has any relationship
            to reality. If any reality correspondences are found,