R/S through reboots

Frank Feuerbacher frank at gremlin.austin.ibm.com
Tue Nov 6 02:09:12 AEST 1990

In article <BGLENDEN.90Nov2111548 at mandrill.cv.nrao.edu>,
bglenden at mandrill.cv.nrao.edu (Brian Glendenning) writes:

> Whenever our RS/6000 530 is rebooted someone has to manually start up
> nfs stuff (via rc.nfs) and enable the printer queue to a remote
> printer.

The easiest way to do this would be to use 'smit'.

enter smit, then select 'communication applications and services'
            then        'NFS'
            then        'Network File System'
            then        'Configure NFS'
            then        'Start NFS'
This should cause NFS to be restarted automatically on each boot.

For the spooler, from the top level menu of smit:
select 'Spooler (print jobs...)'
then   'Manage remote printer subsystem'
then   'client services'
then   'remote printer queues'
>From this point I think you can figure it out.

Smit is pretty good, but it can not do everything (it doesn't support all
possible options) :-(  You should also be able to bypass smit and use your
familiar methods to configure your machine.

Two words of warning 1) I am NOT a configuration expert.
                     2) You can sometimes get yourself in trouble if you try
                        to configure something using a mix of smit and the
                        'traditional' methods.

I hope this helps.

- Frank Feuerbacher

Disclaimer: I don't speak for my employer and they don't speak for me.