Files > 4MB

Ronald S. Woan ron at woan
Wed Nov 21 02:16:32 AEST 1990

In article <CEDMAN.90Nov10200403 at lynx.ps.uci.edu>,
cedman at golem.ps.uci.edu (Carl Edman) writes:
Carl> Now this would be really funny. All versions of AIX I had the
Carl> lack of
Carl> pleasure of having to use so far had quite the opposite problem:
Carl>         No files larger that 4 MBytes
Carl> Trting to transfer large files like e.g. the emacs source to
Carl> port it a.s.o. required me to place the archive on another
Carl> nearby machine, split it in 2, transfer the parts and the
Carl> reassemble all files in a directory on the Risc System 6000.

Carl> Possibly this has been fixed in the later releases. Having files
Carl> span filesystems won't do you much good unless you can use large
Carl> files.

Sounds like you never bothered to bump your default filesize limit
(see ulimit under sh/ksh, or use users in AIX 2.2.1/RT or SMIT change
users options in AIX 3.1) up. I have never had anoy problems with >4MB
files. In anycase, I have had quite a few >4MB files under AIX
2.2.1/RT and AIX 3.1.

+ Ronald S. Woan       woan at peyote.cactus.org or woan%austin at iinus1.ibm.com +
+ other email addresses             Prodigy: XTCR74A Compuserve: 73530,2537 +