console and syslog

Benson I. Margulies benson at odi.com
Thu Nov 29 07:58:04 AEST 1990

On 4.3-ish systems, if one wants a daemon to, say, announce its arrival,
one can call syslog with suitable arguments and expect a message to
(a) appear on the console and (b) get logged. On several popular workstations,
its typical for the user to have a window that serves as the console
in which such messages appear.

Well, what's  the AIX 3.1 story? putting it the error log isn't very
helpful, since you have to go looking to see it. And I've never seen
a console-esque message on my rs6000. The default syslog.conf in /etc
has NO LINES, so I presume IBM software isn't using syslog.

Anyone know how one is supposed to dispose of log messages?
--
Benson I. Margulies