Environment in AIX 2.2.1

Liesert liesert at nixdorf.de
Thu Nov 15 23:14:55 AEST 1990

Hi out there,

recently I saw something strange on a IBM 6151-115 running AIX 2.2.1.

After installing the aix system, I wanted to change the value of the
shell variable TZ (yes, it's in Germany!). No problem, I thought, and
edited the /etc/environment like this:

TZ=MEZ-1MSZ # Middle-european time zone, 1 hour east of Greanwich

Everything seemed to work fine. I su-ed to root and root's TZ had the
value I expected. When I returned to my own login, TZ of course had
its old value - no surprise. I logged out and went home.

The next day after I logged in again, my TZ still had the default value,
while for all other logins TZ had the new value. Does anybody have an
idea, how this could happen?

Bye,
--
| Hans Joachim Liesert, Dep. STO-SI 35   | Email:  liesert.pad at nixdorf.de  |