ksh bug?

news at usenet.ins.cwru.edu news at usenet.ins.cwru.edu
Tue Nov 13 02:57:59 AEST 1990

In article <21641 at orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU> ghe at physics.orst.edu (Guangliang He) writes:
>I'm starting to learn ksh on a RS/6000 with AIX 3.1. I typed in a piece of
>script from  'The Korn Shell' by Morris I. Bolsky & David G. Korn. The
>output of the script is not what I would expect. The shell script is on
>page 216 of the book.

The version of ksh shipped with AIX 3.1 is `11/16/88 NLS', which is basically
Korn's initial release + IBM internationalization stuff.  According to the
ksh changelog, posted to comp.unix.shell by Larry Cipriani, this bug was fixed
in ksh 11/16/88a to "agree with the man page".

There are quite a lot of ksh-88 fixes; it's now up to version 11/16/88e.  I
imagine IBM will eventually upgrade to a more recent base release.

Chet
--
Chet Ramey				``I die, Horatio''
Network Services Group, Case Western Reserve University