Adding a 3rd party SCSI disk to an rs6000

John P. Eisenmenger jpe at egr.duke.edu
Fri Nov 2 02:56:55 AEST 1990

>From article <1149 at cameron.egr.duke.edu>, by jpe at egr.duke.edu (John P. Eisenmenger):
>
> I'm trying to figure out how to set up a WREN-VII for my RS6000.  Has
> anyone done this before?  The problem, as I see it, is that I need to
> define a new disk subclass in order to get little things like the disk's
> size correct.  How do I go about it?

Well, I figured out how to add the drive and it was pretty
straight-forward.  I had been worried about how the 6000 would
determine the size of the disk, but it seemed to figure it out
somehow (yes, this is my first SCSI-using machine).  I now have
a partition with 1019904 KB (987728 free).

> I'm also having some troubles with a SCSI 8mm tape drive.  It looks
> like its configured (marked as available, correct subclass, and device
> files are there), but whenever I try to access it I get:
>
>   /dev/rmt1: A system call received a parameter that is not valid.

This is where I'm turning my attention now.

> Help in any form (mail, follow-up articles) will be digested and
> appreciated.

I reiterate the above!!

-John Eisenmenger
 Dept. of Electrical Engineering