Aix Running on Clones?

Richard M. Mathews richard at locus.com
Thu Nov 29 12:45:32 AEST 1990

eliot at dodongo.engr.washington.edu (Eliot Lim) writes:
>>The TCF facility seems a bit "weird" compared
>>to NFS or AFS until you get used to it, and then it's rather addictive.
>Some people (hard core unix types) here think that TCF is an outdated
>and laughable idea but I don't really agree.  Is there any
>justification for this other than simple bigotry?

I'd be really curious to find out what it is about TCF that some people
find "outdated and laughable."  If TCF is outdated, we should work on
improving it.  As a user of TCF for 6 years, I consider NFS and AFS to
be outdated and laughable.  NFS and AFS give you file system access; TCF
gives you the whole machine.

Perhaps what they mean is that the version of AIX which includes TCF is
outdated because it doesn't include <fill in some feature from BSD4.3+,
SVR4, or where ever>?  If that's the case, all I can say is that IBM
and LCC keep putting out updates -- if you want your favorite feature
to get on the list, try convincing support to put in a DCR or whatever
it's called.

Disclaimer: I speak only for myself (if that), not for LCC, IBM, or
anyone else.

Richard M. Mathews			Freedom for Lithuania
Locus Computing Corporation		       Laisve!
richard at locus.com
lcc!richard at seas.ucla.edu
...!{uunet|ucla-se|turnkey}!lcc!richard