Font Manager for GL

gravishanker at eagle.wesleyan.edu gravishanker at eagle.wesleyan.edu
Fri Nov 2 07:41:44 AEST 1990

Hi

While trying to port some of the graphics program from my Personal IRIS to
RISC/6000, I got into difficulties with the fonts. I use the font manager
routines to use all the Postscript fonts available on my Personal IRIS. Since
the RISC/6000 does not have any font manager stuff, I was stuck with a single
font which, does not do much. The other choice was somehow defining fonts using
the defrasfont routine which is a pain.

My IBM tech. support person informed me about the existence of a loadXfont
routine which loads all available X-fonts and makes it available for your
GL-based programs. An example is provided in xfont.c in the info.

xfont.c has a couple of bugs. The call to XListFonts  uses the string "helv"
rather than "helv*" and the number 433 as the font number does not work right.
The call to font with a font number of 433 fails. When I use a small number,
like 11, it works. May be this number has to be less than 255, who knows. The
documentation for the Fortran call says the argument to font is integer*4 but
the C call says it must be short!

Anyway, when I do everything suggested in xfont.c for my program, I get garbled
fonts in my window when I use any Helvetica font. If I use any of the Courier
fonts, I get ONLY the first character and a bunch of @'s.

Has anyone done anything along these lines? Any help is appreciated.

Ravi