Paging-space problems (Really the /etc/security/limits file)

Geoff Coleman geoff at edm.uucp
Sat Nov 17 04:27:33 AEST 1990

>From article <311 at cadlab.sublink.ORG>, by staff at cadlab.sublink.ORG (Alex Martelli):
>
> A system-level solution would be best, but I can't find a good one.
> I think we now have ALL the documentation IBM supplies, but I don't
> see a way there to reserve some amount of resource (paging space) for
> the kernel, or for root-owned processes, or whatever.  The limits file
> allows things like fixing maximum amount of data area PER PROCESS, but
> what good will this do me???  I can't predict how many processes WILL
> be running when a dangerous situation approaches!  Why oh why can't
> brk()/sbrk() just REFUSE to expand space to a dangerous situation?

	But you really should read the man page for the limits file
It resides in hardcopy in "Files Reference". It is without a doubt the
funniest AIX man page I've found yet. Of 6 paramaters all but fsize
are marked as "not used" (so why are they there). So even if data=xxxx
would theoretically solve your problem it wouldn't really because
the value is ignored.

Geoff Coleman