distributed computing on a network of RS6000s?

Chuck Karish karish at pangea.Stanford.EDU
Thu Nov 15 13:29:08 AEST 1990

In article <13997 at ogicse.ogi.edu> pturner at ese.ese.ogi.edu (Paul Turner) writes:

>It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that when you
>have 10-20 RS6000s you are well on your way to having a
>supercomputer. Given that a bare 320 sells for app. $8k means
>a 10 unit setup has a 400 MFLOP theoretical peak, 80 Mb of memory,
>1.2 Gb disk, etc.

Not much of that 1.2GB of disk will be useful, though; count on
another $10,000-20,000 for a disk farm.  Still, a bargain.

This'll all be even more attractive after cards are available for
the slots IBM reserved for high-speed (fiber optics) communications
cards, and an operating system supporting distributed computing
is available (an OSF-based version of AIX).

It looks to me like this approach has been part of the plan for
some time.

	Chuck Karish		karish at mindcraft.com
	(415) 323-9000		karish at forel.stanford.edu