LIBPATH (was Re: /usr/etd/biod 0 'is very bad for your health'

jsalter at slo jsalter at slo
Thu Nov 15 08:57:02 AEST 1990

In article <1028 at casbah.acns.nwu.edu> roger at eccles.psych.nwu.edu (Roger Ratcliff) writes:
>By the way, each system should come with a big warning message:
>NEVER EVER mv libc.a.  You usually have to reload the system.

Heh, heh.  I remember learning about this around January during standards-
conformance testing.  The answer is two fold:

	1) You *can* move libc.a, but make sure that the LIBPATH environment
	   is set to the new directory.

	2) If you read the relevant portions of the load() subroutine, it
	   says:

		"... LIBPATH is ignored when the exec'd program has more
		 privilege than the caller, for example, in the case of an
		 suid program."

	   So, if want to make some mod's to libc.a, and *you know what you're
	   doing* (have read the INFO sections and practiced) you should make
	   a copy of original libc.a and set LIBPATH to look at your copy
	   first.

If you do a search for "LIBPATH" under Info, you should see quite a bit of
information on the subject.  If you don't think the information is complete
enough, open an APAR on the documentation.

>Roger

jim/jsalter  IBM AWD, Palo Alto  T465/(415)855-4427   VNET: JSALTER at AUSVMQ
Internet: jsalter at slo.awdpa.ibm.com         UUCP: ..!uunet!ibmsupt!jsalter
  PS/2 it, or DIE!  :-)  The ramblings above have nothing to do with Big Blue.