That !%$@ 3-character buffer.

Steve Knodle, ERC,, slk at clutx.clarkson.edu
Wed Nov 21 08:55:09 AEST 1990

>From article <1190 at cameron.egr.duke.edu>, by jpe at egr.duke.edu (John P. Eisenmenger):
> I'm having a problem with my RS6000 buffering input.  I compiled
> Berkeley's vi (along with the "new" termcap library) and everything
> works fine, *except* that input is buffered by three characters.  I
> had seen this resolved before, but unfortunately didn't save the
> posting.  Could someone please post some help (direct mail will be
> accepted also)?
>
> -John Eisenmenger			jpe at cameron.egr.duke.edu
>  Dept. of Electrical Engineering	jpe at cs.duke.edu
>  Duke University
>  Durham, NC 27707

I hit similar problem porting Microemacs3.10 (heavily used here).
Termcap apparently requires tty bsd line discipline mode.

So a wrapper shell script works:

stty add bsd
/usr/local/bin/me.bin
stty del bsd

and the bsd line discipline is pushed and popped from the tty driver's stack.

This is not fully satisfactory since if a ptty is left in bsd mode,
if the next user rlogs in, the PASSWORD ECHOS. Be warned.  The login
program ought to reinitialize the tty line discipline.