PS/2 DOS Server, AADU, and 3com

James DeRoest deroest at milton.u.washington.edu
Thu Nov 1 03:48:18 AEST 1990

  Anyone using AADU, AIX DOS Server, on thin wire with 3com cards?  I have
a bunch of PC clones running AADU with 3com 3c503 cards which are supposed
to be talking to a PS/2 80 AIX box via DOS Server on a 3com 3c523.  The PS/2
is at maint level 1006, and the /usr/nifl/3com driver is installed.  My net
is up and running which I verified running echo tests between all the boxes.
Problem is that AADU is not finding the PS/2.  Since the 3c503.sys options
aren't documented anywhere and neither are the pci options for AIX, I am
stuck.  I have gotten some conflicting responses from IBM concerning the
option settings for the 3c503.sys.  My guess is that the internal tranceiver
option is not getting set on the 3c503.  So far I have been told to use
either:

           device = 3c503.sys -X:3 -R:1 -I:300

The /usr/lib/MemoToUser/386 says:

           device = 3c503.drv /X:3 /I:300   (assuming /R:1 for int trans)

The latter is bogus since I assume they are refering to 3c503.sys.  Anyway
I'm going start poking around with a sniffer to see whats going on.  Anyone
else have this working?

Jim DeRoest
University Computing Services
University of Washington