'6000 performance issue

marc at arnor.uucp marc at arnor.uucp
Tue Nov 20 03:48:26 AEST 1990

In article <1990Nov19.042905.26880 at i88.isc.com> mikebe at i88.isc.com (Michael G. Beirne) writes:

>This sounds like a performance problem to me. What happens when 5 or 6 people
>start up Frame on a RS/6000 and the whole program is in paging/memory area
>for each user instead of just the data and bss area separate for each user?

Programs are executed out of a memory mapped instance of the text
file.  There will be only one copy (at most) of each page of the text
no matter how many processes run the program.  The same thing is true
of shared libraries, like libc.a and libX11.a.

Of course, each process has its own copy of any data pages it has
touched.

Marc Auslander