How to reduce filesystem size.

luis basto luis at mavrick.UUCP
Fri Nov 9 05:58:51 AEST 1990

In article <8024 at adobe.UUCP>, jensen at adobe.com (Freddy Jensen) writes:

>    I recently used the chfs command to expand the filesystems on my disk.
>    Unfortunately  I made  /usr  unnecessarily large.  Now  chfs will not
>    allow me to reduce the size of /usr.  Does anyone know how to do this
>    (other than reformatting the disk ;-) ?

chfs is a unidirectional command, ie, you can increase but not decrease a
filesystem. To do what you want, try the following:

0. figure out how large you really want /usr to be remembering that it's
   very easy to increase it later
1. backup /usr
2. remove /usr -> you have to do this in maintainence mode
3. remake /usr with a smaller size
4. restore /usr

You can do most of these steps in smit. Good luck.
--
Luis Basto
Work: (512) 823-3081