keyclick in hft/AIX3.1

boote at bierstadt.scd.ucar.edu boote at bierstadt.scd.ucar.edu
Tue Nov 6 06:57:44 AEST 1990

In article <1990Nov4.060452.3848 at cs.umn.edu>, lindner at cs.umn.edu (Paul Lindner) writes:
> I really despise the keyclick on my RIOS 320.  So I went into smit
> and turned it off.  However whenever I start X windows the keyclick
> comes back.  Also once I start X smit won't let me turn it off the
> keyclick since I'm not running smit from the console.  I especially
> hate the sound when holding down the delete key.  Sounds like my
> RS6000 has a little flatulance!

I agree, there should be some way to turn it off from within X but there isn't.
What is supposed to work is the -c option to X or xinit when you start the
server but that hasn't worked for me.  What I do is start x in another
virtual terminal.
csh> open xinit
and then after x is running I switch back to the hft using the alt-act key.
>From there you can just use the chsound '-q' command to silence the key board
and then again use the alt-act key to switch back to your x screen.

Jeff W. Boote                   SCD/NCAR
boote at ncar.ucar.edu           Boulder, Colo