multiple platform backups on RS/6000 w/ AIX 3.1

Robert E. Wargaski Jr. wargaski at casbah.acns.nwu.edu
Tue Nov 6 11:20:33 AEST 1990

I am trying to back up two filesystems to the RS/6k tape drive:  one is the
local /u filesystem, and the other is a filesystem on a Sun 3/60 (SunOS 3.4).

I have the following script:

    /etc/umount /u
    /etc/backup -f /dev/rmt0.1 -9 -u /u
    /etc/mount /u
    rsh host-sun /etc/dump 9ubf 500 host-ibm:/dev/rmt0.1 /sun-filesystem

The flags for the Sun dump program mean:
	9 -- level number
	u -- update /etc/dumpdates
	b -- blocking factor (500 in this case)
	f -- file (host-ibm:/dev/rmt0.1 in this case)

When run individually, each backup works fine.  When run together, however,
via the script, the backup of the Sun filesystem overwrites the backup of the
/u filesystem (even though rmt0.1 is specified).

Has anyone successfully got the above scheme running?  I need to use the backup
in the by-inode format to preserve continuity in the lab.

Regards,

Rob Wargaski

--

Robert E. Wargaski Jr.			 This is stupid. -- Vila
wargaski at nwu.edu			 When did that ever stop us. -- Avon