Sysadmin help needed !

Ronald S. Woan ron at woan
Mon Oct 1 09:34:25 AEST 1990

In article <1990Sep27.030149.13622 at portia.Stanford.EDU>,
glowell at portia.Stanford.EDU (gary lowell) writes:
Gary> 3.  Escape in csh and ksh
Gary>     I'm probably missing something very obvious here, but how do
Gary>     I enable escape for file name completion in csh, and command
Gary>     mode in ksh.  At the moment Escape is treated as an ordinary
Gary>     character.  This is at the HFT without windows, or in
Gary>     aixterm when windows is running.  The profiles are the
Gary>     shipped defaults.

I am not sure for csh, but for ksh, you need to have a "set -o gmacs"
or "set -o vi" to get completion and editing stuff to work, if I
remember correctly (I may not since it has always worked for me).  You
may also want to pick up tcsh from tesla.ee.cornell.edu, as it
supports the terminal cursor keys and such, along with the
spelling/completion stuff that has always made it popular, especially
with novices...

Gary> Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I would be happy to
Gary> compile a trouble shooting guide for AIX if people would send me
Gary> their favorite tips and techniques.  Such a guide has been
Gary> floating around the HP-UX community and I've found it very
Gary> helpful in the past.

Or perhaps, we should have a bi-weekly Frequently Asked Questions
posting with the some of the answers that we have come up with over
the past few months, i.e.

	1. Make sure that root doesn't belong in too many groups when
	   using NFS across non AIX 3.1 (NFS 4.0 or whatnot) machines.

	2. Where to find the BSD porting/administration documents.

	3. Where to find patches and how to compile kermit, elm, GNU
	   EMACS, etc...

	4. How much and how to get X11R4 running.

	5. X.desktop mailing list info.

	6. Known bugs and workarounds.....
    			.
			.