AIX3.1 InfoExplorer/man pages gone and 1/4" tape drive problem

Marc Pawliger marc at ibmpa.awdpa.ibm.com
Thu Oct 25 03:57:35 AEST 1990

In article <2696.27249cfb at miavx1.acs.muohio.edu>, pemurray at miavx1.acs.muohio.edu (Peter Murray) writes:
|> In article <3953 at awdprime.UUCP>, frank at gremlin.austin.ibm.com (Frank Feuerbacher) writes:

[...]

|> > The CD version should have everything the hard disk version had, plus some
|> > drawings and (some) hardware stuff.  What appeared to be missing?  (Since
|> > you followed the instructions I am sure you did
|> > 'mv /usr/lpp/info/data/ispaths.full /usr/lpp/info/data/ispaths' because that
|> > would cause strange results.
|>
|> Well, I tried mounting the CD and typing the above move command, and I
|> did get the man pages and info explorer stuff back.  However, I still
|> don't think all of it is on the CD.  The files from the install tapes
|> add up this way (the directory is /usr/lpp/info/En_US):

[...]

|> It looks like I'm missing things with the CD.

You are not.  The 'aixmin' database that is shipped on the hard disk is
an AIX MINimal database.  ALL information that is in it is also located
in the various databases on the CD.

There is a configuration file in /usr/lpp/info/data/ispaths which is a
stanzaed file listing all the currently installed databases and where
they are located in the filesystem.  There should be one stanza for each
directory in /usr/lpp/info/data/$LANG, where $LANG is probably set to
'En_US' for US systems.  If there is not an entry in the ispaths file,
InfoExplorer will not find that datbase, regardless of whether it is on
the hard drive or the CD.  If you look in /usr/lpp/info/data, you will find
various files, all with a base name of 'ispaths'.  If you have the CD
database installed (and mounted as /usr/lpp/info/data/$LANG), you should
copy the 'ispaths.full' file to 'ispaths'.  Note that the 'ispath.min'
file is the file used when just the aixmin database is installed, as is
the case on most model 320 systems.

Hope this helps...

+---Marc Pawliger---IBM Advanced Workstations Division---Palo Alto, CA---+
|    Internet: marc%ibmsupt at uunet.uu.net     VNET:    MARCP at AUSVM6    |
|     UUCP:     uunet!ibmsupt!ibmpa!marc      Phone:   (415) 855-3493    |
+------IBMnet:   marc at ibmpa.awdpa.ibm.com------IBM T/L:  465-3493--------+

These are my opinions and not those of IBM, etc etc etc