C-news on an RS/6000

Gary Kakazu kakazu at theory.tn.cornell.edu
Tue Apr 2 12:00:47 AEST 1991

I just put the latest c-news on an RS/6000.  It seems to work fine,
execept that I had to make relaynews setuid to root.  When I had
it set uid to news, my posts would come back to me with the message:

relaynews: recursive loop setting ids (Only the owner or a privileged user can p
erform the operation.)

I have setnewsids installed with setuid root as it should.

I suppose I shouldn't complain since it seems to work, but I don't like
too many setuid root programs lying around, and all the articles are
showing up in /usr/spool/news owned by root.

If you have any experience with c-news, I'd like to hear from you.

Gary Kakazu
kakazu at theory.tn.cornell.edu