X11r4 on Xstations ... version mismatch?

Daniel Packman pack at acd.acd.ucar.edu
Fri Apr 12 01:46:49 AEST 1991

I recently installed Xwindow software version 1.2 on an RS6000/530
running AIX 3.1.x002 (we still await 3.1.5).  The Xstation 120 (system
version 1.3) works fine with the default "bootfile".  According to
the README file, one can use "bootfile1" if you have enough memory
and this will allow one to run X11r4.  Going through the procedure
in the README, the system fails on bootup.  Specifically,
   bootp operates normally
   tftp  seems to download properly
then the message "unable to connect to fileserver" appears on the top
of the screen.

This problem has been reported already and the quoted solution seems to betray
a limited understanding of the problem at hand.  Don't tell me to check
the bootptab file, it already operated successfully.  Don't tell me to
check to see if tftp is enabled, it already started up.  Don't tell me
to reboot the system for no reason, it doesn't solve this problem.  Don't
tell me to see if the x_st_mgrd is running.  It is.

Is there a minimum AIX or Xstation version that is compatible with X11r4?

Dan Packman     NCAR                             INTERNET: pack at ncar.UCAR.EDU
(303) 497-1427  P.O. Box 3000                       CSNET: pack at ncar.CSNET
                Boulder, CO  80307-3000      DECNET  SPAN: 9583::PACK