AIX 3.1 and alloca?

Vic Abell abe at mace.cc.purdue.edu
Sat Apr 6 05:11:35 AEST 1991

In article <17121 at sunquest.UUCP> jew at rs6000.sunquest.com writes:
>Trying to compile Perl 4.000 under AIX 3.1.  alloca is in the manual and
>supposed to be available via a cc command line switch.  The switch is not
>mentioned in the cc manual however.  I tried using alloca.c from emacs to
>no avail (xmalloc undefined).  I think someone has already done this...

Here is a repost of Ed Kubaitis' article on porting Perl 3.0, patch level
37 to AIX 3.1.  I just used it today to port Perl 4.0, patch level 0 to
AIX 3.1 and it worked correctly.

----

Article 2287 of comp.unix.aix:
Newsgroups: comp.unix.aix
Subject: perl patchlevel 37 on AIX 3.1
Date: 20 Oct 90 17:50:15 GMT
Sender: news at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (News)

The attached patch and answering "n" to the Configure question

   Do you wish to attempt to use the malloc that comes with perl? [y] n

allowed a successful make and make test for perl at patchlevel 37 on an
IBM RS/6000 running AIX 3.1. (Answering "y" yielded an "illegal redefinition
message for "free" in malloc.c.) The default answer was taken for all other
questions posed by Configure.

----------------------------------
Ed Kubaitis (ejk at uxh.cso.uiuc.edu)
Computing Services Office - University of Illinois - Urbana

*** perl.h-	Sat Oct 20 10:39:52 1990
--- perl.h	Sat Oct 20 11:26:32 1990
***************
*** 317,323 ****
  #   define I286
  #endif

! #ifndef	__STDC__
  #ifdef CHARSPRINTF
      char *sprintf();
  #else
--- 317,323 ----
  #   define I286
  #endif

! #if !defined(__STDC__) && !defined(_IBMR2)
  #ifdef CHARSPRINTF
      char *sprintf();
  #else
*** x2p/a2p.y-	Sat Oct 20 11:01:06 1990