AIX 3.1.5 X libraries

Camden Clarke pcc at frame.UUCP
Fri Apr 26 16:34:15 AEST 1991

Running AIX 3.1.5 (aka 3.1 with the 3005 update applied).

I've been using '/usr/ucb/nm' (BSD nm) to examine the supplied X libraries,
and I'm getting results that I can't explain.  Does anyone know why this
happens?:
% /usr/ucb/nm libX11.a | grep XOpenDisplay
0000c210 T .XOpenDisplay
00006e6c D XOpenDisplay
%
% /usr/ucb/nm libXt.a | grep XOpenDisplay
         U XOpenDisplay
000041c4 T .XOpenDisplay
000041c4 t .XOpenDisplay
00008938 d XOpenDisplay
%
% /usr/ucb/nm libdps.a | grep XOpenDisplay
         U XOpenDisplay
0000be60 T .XOpenDisplay
0000be60 t .XOpenDisplay
0000d5b0 d XOpenDisplay

It looks to me like there are three copies of XOpenDisplay, one in each
library, but I don't think that's really the case.  My best guess is that
this is caused by shared libraries.  (And speaking of shared libraries,
where is a good place to start reading in info to understand AIX shared
libraries?  Can you link a binary without shared libraries, like -Bstatic
under SunOS?)
Any help would be appreciated.
				-Cam Clarke
				Frame Technology