Any reason why I can't strip(1) xemacs 18.57.1 on RS6000s?

Chin Fang fangchin at elaine54.Stanford.EDU
Tue Apr 16 06:01:42 AEST 1991

I would like to know why I can't use strip(1) to remove symbols and
relocation bits from xemacs that I built on our RS6000s.  The executable
runs flawlessly, and with Marc Andereesen's keyboard patches, one can
take advantage of all cursor keys and pgup/dn keys as well.

But the size of the executable is really BIG! -> 1714513 bytes
[I built it with HAVE_X_WINDOWS, HAVE_X_MENU, and X11]

The xemacs that I have on my 386 box after mcs -d and strip -> 618496 bytes
Of course, I used shared libs on my box.

I am aware that RISC executables usually are larger than their CISC counter-
parts, but I was shocked by the BIG difference.  So I made a backup, and
stripped the original.  Ran it and I got a core dump immediately.

I am suspicious that the special code written up for handling dumping of
xemacs after building is the cause, but I am not sure.

Any insight is appreciated.  I will do a summary if there is enough interest.

Please email. Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Chin Fang
Mechanical Engineering Department