Mounting a floppy filesystem?

Craig Miller dcm at codesmith.austin.ibm.com
Wed Apr 24 23:49:30 AEST 1991

In article <1991Apr22.194750.10431 at panix.uucp> eravin at panix.uucp (Ed Ravin) writes:
>Is it possible to turn a floppy disk into a mountable filesystem on an
>RS/6000?  I tried:

	No.  Filesystems on floppies are not supported.

># mkfs /dev/rfd0
># mount -p -o log=/dev/console /dev/fd0 /mnt
>
>Only to be rewarded with "/dev/rfd0: device busy" or something similiar.
>And why do I have to tell the mount command about log devices?

	AIXV3 uses a "Journaled Filesystem" that requires a log to track
	changes to the filesystem meta-data (inodes, directories, etc).
	This log must be on the same volume group as the filesystem
	in question (this alone makes filesystems on floppies hard).

	If enough customers express an interest in this, this will, perhaps,
	be offered in a later release.

	If this is very important to you, submit a defect.
Craig Miller			Internet:	dcm at aixwiz.austin.ibm.com
IBM Austin			Vnet:		tkg007 at ausvmq
AIXV3 Change Team (level3)	IBM internal:	dcm at littleguy.austin.ibm.com
"I do not represent IBM or any other respectable company."