Printing A Window

Marc Andreessen andreess at mrlaxs.mrl.uiuc.edu
Sat Apr 27 03:20:31 AEST 1991

In article <1402 at nih-csl.nih.gov> rmsimon at helix.nih.gov (Richard Simon) writes:
>I have an RS6000/320 with a color monitor and a postscript printer.  I can
>print files with no problem.  Can anyone tell me how to print the contents
>of a window, however.  I have tried to dump the window to a file using the
>xwd utility either in the form   xwd -out temp -xy    or without the -xy.
>I have then tried to print file temp using the xpr utility with -device ps.
>In both cases I get the error message from xpr "color windows not
>supported."  I've looked in Info Explorer for an AIX utility for printing
>the contents of a window or dumping a window in a file in postscript
>format, but I haven't found anything.  Surely there must be a way to do
>such a basic function.  I'd appreciate help.

Wrong switch... try 'xwd -bitmap'.  This can be piped to the current
version of 'xpr' to print bilevel PostScript.

Alternately, acquire the pbmplus package, get the color dump with
'xwd' (no options), then use xwdtopnm and pgmtops to get greyscale
PostScript, or xwdtopnm and ppmtops to get color PostScript.

Marc

--
Marc Andreessen___________University of Illinois Materials Research Laboratory
Internet: andreessen at uimrl7.mrl.uiuc.edu____________Bitnet: andreessen at uiucmrl