Can motif programs in C++ be written for RS/6000?

Wendy Ross wross at caen.engin.umich.edu
Tue Apr 2 07:00:00 AEST 1991

In article <1991Apr1.100448 at ibmpa.awdpa.ibm.com> marc at ibmpa.awdpa.ibm.com (Marc Pawliger) writes:
>[... talk of executing a program and getting 'cannot load libXXX.a, incorrect
>format' deleted ...]
>
>What has probably happened is that you have linked with a shared library that
>is not in the 'standard' place i.e. /lib or /usr/lib.  When you go to run the
>program, the loaded can't find the library and bails out.  Unfortunately it
>sometimes reports the wrong library as the one it couldn't find or that was
>in the 'wrong format'.
>
>The solution is to use the -L switch when compiling.  This basically adds
>another directory to the path searched for shared libraries.  So if the R4
>libraries were in /usr/local/lib, you would add "-L/usr/local/lib -lX11" to
>use /usr/local/lib/libX11.a instead of /usr/lib/libX11.a.
>
>To see if this will work, you could also set LIBPATH to
>/usr/local/lib:/lib:/usr/lib and try re-running the program.  If that works,
>then recompiling should help.
>
>+--Marc Pawliger----IBM Advanced Workstations Division----Palo Alto, CA---+
>|   Internet: marc at ibminet.awdpa.ibm.com        VNET:    MARCP at AUSVM6  |
>|    UUCP:     uunet!ibminet.awdpa.ibm.com!marc  Phone:   (415) 855-3493  |
>+-----IBMinet:  marc at ibmpa.awdpa.ibm.com----------IBM T/L:  465-3493------+
>
>These are my opinions, not IBM's etc etc etc

I have a question.  We also are compiling X11R4 with the suggested
patches.  We did compile it with the -L option so that the clients
will use our X11R4 shared libraries instead of /usr/lib libraries.
Everything works just fine if the clients (ie xterm) is not suid.
xterm runs without problems, and finds the right library.  However,
as soon as we make xterm suid root, it bombs out with the XCOFF
error, saying something about /usr/lib/libXt.a.  Is there some
reason that suid programs only look in /usr/lib?  Does anyone have
any other suggestions?

Wendy Ross				wross at caen.engin.umich.edu
Computer Aided Engineering Network
College of Engineering