Misbehaving printer

Zvika Bar-Deroma AER7101 at TECHNION.BITNET
Mon Apr 29 02:14:33 AEST 1991

In article <1991Apr25.154427.3916 at ncsu.edu>, johnson at ecovsh.eco.ncsu.edu (Amy
Johnson) says:

>Details - IBM RS6000, AIX 3.1 (update 3003)
>
>I have a DataProducts LZR-1200 (lazer printer) that is defined as an
>"Other parallel printer".   It works fine except that everytime the printer
>runs out of paper, the queue comes down.  After more paper is added the queue
>stays down until someone with the appropriate privileges can do a "enq -U".
>
>This is really annoying especially to the students who are trying to do a term
>paper at 1:00 am and they can't use the laser printer until the next day, just
>because it ran out of paper once.
>
>If anyone has any ideas, PLEASE pass them on.
>
>Thanks!
>Amy <johnson at ecovsh.eco.ncsu.edu>
>Engineering Computer Operations
>North Carolina State University

I'm having the  same problem with an IBM4019-E (defined  as - believe it
or not IBM4019  ). I have posted  a quesion on that matter  a few months
ago, and  got no "definite" solution.  From the answers I  got, it seems
that this behaviour is sysV behaviour; BSD works as you seem to want it.
My SE told me to connect the printer as a serial printer. There's an IBM
cable which is parallel  on one end, and 25-pin RS232  on the other end.
That's the cable one's supposed to  use for connecting the 4019 serially
(I'm at home now,  can't remember its number, but it  appears in the H/W
for the rs/6000 manual  - that's more or less the  name..BTW - the cable
lists in  Israel $84).  Anyway -  I finally  got it,  and....the problem
disappears, the queue gets to  DEV_WAIT state when the paper's finished.
Adding paper  and resetting the  printer seems to restart  the printing,
but helas - the current printing doesn't  continue to the end just a few
pages (probably what was left in the buffer).

Hope someone can suggest a way to overcome the problem, whether the
parallel way (preferred - faster printing) or serially..
/Zvika

Zvika Bar-Deroma                                  Phone: (+972)-4-292706
Faculty of Aerospace Engineering,                 Fax  : (+972)-4-231848
Technion
Haifa 32000
Israel

BITNET        :   AER7101 at TECHNION
Internet      :   AER7101 at TECHNION.TECHNION.AC.IL
UUCP          :   ...!uunet!pucc.princeton.edu!technion!aer7101