Can motif programs in C++ be written for RS/6000?

jsalter at ibmpa.awdpa.ibm.com jsalter at ibmpa.awdpa.ibm.com
Tue Apr 2 11:00:33 AEST 1991

In article <1991Apr1.210000.6909 at engin.umich.edu> wross at caen.engin.umich.edu (Wendy Ross) writes:
>I have a question.  We also are compiling X11R4 with the suggested
>patches.  We did compile it with the -L option so that the clients
>will use our X11R4 shared libraries instead of /usr/lib libraries.
>Everything works just fine if the clients (ie xterm) is not suid.
>xterm runs without problems, and finds the right library.  However,
>as soon as we make xterm suid root, it bombs out with the XCOFF
>error, saying something about /usr/lib/libXt.a.  Is there some
>reason that suid programs only look in /usr/lib?  Does anyone have
>any other suggestions?

As noted in the exec() subroutine info page:

"If the new program requires shared libraries, the exec subroutine finds,
opens, and loads each of them into the new process address space.  The
referenced counts for shared libraries in use by the issuer of the exec are
decremented.  Shared libraries are searched for in the directories listed in
the LIBPATH  environment variable.  If any of these files is remote, the data
is copied into local virtual memory."

Also, as noted in the (*load)() subroutine info page:

"The exec subroutine is similar to the load subroutine, except that exec does
not have an explicit library path parameter; it has only the LIBPATH
environment variable.  Also, LIBPATH is ignored when the exec'd program has
more privilege than the caller, for example, in the case of an suid program."

Marc?  John?  Care to enhance this a bit?

As for how to fix this?  Got me.

>Wendy Ross				wross at caen.engin.umich.edu

jim/jsalter  IBM PSP, Palo Alto  T465/(415)855-4427  VNET: JSALTER at AUSVMQ
Internet: jsalter at slo.awdpa.ibm.com         UUCP: ..!uunet!ibmsupt!jsalter
"For every SNAKE there is a mongoose".   The commentary above is solely my own.