df . (was: Re: It works everywhere else, but not on AIX)

jsalter at ibmpa.awdpa.ibm.com jsalter at ibmpa.awdpa.ibm.com
Wed Apr 17 07:04:47 AEST 1991

In article <1991Apr16.160043.20354 at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> kline at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Charley Kline) writes:
>jsalter at ibmpa.awdpa.ibm.com writes:
>>You must be running on an *early* version (pre-GA?).  You need an upgrade.

No, you're not.

>Gee, I'm on the same system Phil is. It's an S6000 model 540 running 3003.
>I can't get df to misbehave either.

Oops, apologies.  Casual probing didn't uncover your problem, but was brought
to my attention that this does happen on the latest, but wasn't easily
reproducable.  After a little bit of hacking, I am now able to reproduce it:

	% df .
	Filesystem    Total KB    free %used   iused %iused Mounted on
	/dev/lv02       200704    4944   97%   12439    24% /u
	% chmod 750 .
	Filesystem    Total KB    free %used   iused %iused Mounted on
	Cannot find file system .
	%

Sure enough, if the access mode for the directory doesn't have the user's
executable bit on, df . doesn't work.  A defect has been opened.

>Charley Kline, KB9FFK, PP-ASEL                          c-kline at uiuc.edu
>University of Illinois Computing Services            Packet: kb9ffk at w9yh
>1304 W. Springfield Ave, Urbana IL  61801                 (217) 333-3339

jim/jsalter  IBM PSP, Palo Alto  T465/(415)855-4427  VNET: JSALTER at AUSVMQ
Internet: jsalter at slo.awdpa.ibm.com         UUCP: ..!uunet!ibmsupt!jsalter
"IBM part #23521, aka Lt. Commander Data"    The stuff above is on my own.