Has anyone ported GNU-make to IBM RS-6000/AIX?

Marc Andreessen andreess at mrlaxe.mrl.uiuc.edu
Thu Apr 25 06:01:43 AEST 1991

In article <JAE.91Apr24131258 at pv031e.iastate.edu> jae at iastate.edu (Edwards John Andrew) writes:
>   The title says it all:  Has anyone ported GNU-make to the IBM RS-6000
>   running AIX?  I ran into troubles with arscan.c (the format of AIX's .a
>   files appears to be somewhat alternative), but before I dig into it, I
>   figured I'd try the net to see if someone's already solved this.
>
>I have been wondering the same thing.  Apparently, it is due to
>be released with gcc-2.00, whenever that appears.  I would like
>very much to have it available because I also want G++ on this
>box.

Look on export.lcs.mit.edu, in contrib/gmake-6000.tar.Z.  I ported
it myself before seeing this; it really isn't that difficult to do
yourself if you're willing to weed out the differences between what
the distribution expects and what AIX provides.

>Alas, there also may be a political problem arising with IBM and
>lawsuits, so the AIX/RS6000 port may *never* be available from
>FSF.

Huh?  This is new... the only problem I ever heard about was actually
shipping Emacs with the system.  Is there something else?  (According
to the FSF, GCC/G++ will support the RS/6000; also, Emacs 18.57 does
right now...)

Marc

--
Marc Andreessen___________University of Illinois Materials Research Laboratory