RS/6000 Tape questions

Ed Ravin eravin at panix.uucp
Thu Apr 25 03:38:21 AEST 1991

In article <mumble at eagle.lerc.nasa.gov> hubler at galaxy.lerc.nasa.gov
(Dale Hubler) writes:

>Look in info explorer for the tctl command.  Why they didn't make this
>named mt or set up as a link escapes me.  Must be a difference between
>BSD and SYS V.  I was looking for mt for a while also.

Thanks, and thanks to the other handful of people who either posted or
mailed me the answer.  The real problem here is not what they call it,
but that "tctl" is not cross-referenced anywhere. The obvious place would
be in the "rmt" section in Special Files.  Less obvious would be the
"dd" command, the "backup" command, etc.  To give you an idea how
bad the indexes are in IBM's manuals, in Special Files, there's not even
any entries for "Tape" in the index, just "rmt".  Unix from any other
vendor always has the "permuted index" -- not the best way of doing things,
but at least all the information is there.

--
Ed Ravin            | I'm sorry, sir, but POSTAL REGULATIONS don't allow
cmcl2!panix!eravin  | PLASTIC tape over PAPER tape and NYLON cord on an