33% efficiency in /usr

Graeme Moffat graeme at ccu1.aukuni.ac.nz
Mon Apr 15 19:15:32 AEST 1991

wostner at garnet.berkeley.edu (Ulf Wostner) writes:

>How can I increase the efficiency of /usr ? It shows a measly 33%
>efficiency in smit, when everything else is near 100%.
>Any help would be appreciated. We would like to have room for emacs
>and mathematica in /usr/local on our RS/6000 with 320 MB !

This does not indicate the efficiency with which the filesystem space is
being used, as you appear to believe.  It is a measure of how the physical
blocks are allocated in the filesystem, with a contiguous run being 100%.
'lslv -m hd2' will show the block layout, yours will have several small
contiguous blocks, perhaps as a result of irregular software installations,
which will increase /usr automagically as needed.
One way to increase efficiency (does it really matter?) is to:
1- Do an initial install of everything
2- Note how much space is taken by each filesystem
3- Install again, but pre-allocate space before installing lpp's, allowing
    around 90% occupancy.
4- Wonder if the extra effort was worth it *&^)
5- Realise that you have no idea how much will be installed in the future
6- Wonder if the extra effort was worth it

I went through this exercise (it's hard to shake a VM mentality) and still
ended up with a 75% efficiency for /usr
--
Graeme Moffat                g.moffat at aukuni.ac.nz \ Time wastes us all,
Computer Aided Design Centre,  Fax: +64-9-366-0702 /  our bodies & our wits