Can you use xmodem at Even-Parity 7-bits (AIX3.1.3002)?

Ed Ravin eravin at panix.uucp
Mon Apr 8 11:44:42 AEST 1991

In article <mumble at mumble> fredrick at acd.acd.ucar.edu (Tim Fredrick) writes:
>I cannot get any of our terminal communications utilities to work at Even
>Parity 7 data bits (do to limitations of our terminal server, we must
>communicate using this protocol).  Has anyone gotten kermit, zmodem, xmodem
>or any other utility to do protocol file transfers on the Risc-System 6000?

Xmodem requires an 8-bit line to work properly.  I'm not familiar enough
with zmodem, but I suspect it's similiar in that respect.  Kermit should be
able to use your 7-bit line (Kermit was designed for hostile communication
environments).  Try studying all the "set" parameters in Kermit closely to
see if you're missing anything.  Also, remember if you're transferring
binary files, you'll need to tell C-Kermit to "set file type binary" or
invoke the nice little frog with the "-i" option.  If you don't do that,
then binary files will never make it over correctly, regardless of your
comm line settings.

I've had nothing but success using C-Kermit (but over 8-bit lines) on
my RS-6000.  UUCP also works.

		--- Ed
--
Ed Ravin            | This random number tells the computer that you are
cmcl2!panix!eravin  | a member in good standing.  It is not related to your