X.Desktop and file names/icons

Martin Timmerman mtimm at watserv1.waterloo.edu
Sat Apr 27 03:46:40 AEST 1991

In article <1991Apr22.123454.17647 at watserv1.waterloo.edu> mtimm at watserv1.waterloo.edu (Martin Timmerman) writes:
>X.Desktop (the xdt command) allows you to view directories with icons
>or with just the filename showing. How can I initialize xdt so that just
>the filenames show by default? Also, how can I set the geometry of the
>directory window that pops up?

Thanks to a few people I have determined that to get filenames
by default the following code should be added to $HOME/xdtinitial.xde:

icon_rules {
  %// General directory rules.
  %// ------------------------
  * /D
  {
    %// s1 = Open directory window.
    %// s2 = Replace contents of the parent's directory window with this directory.
    %// s* = Warn user no more actions defined.
    trigger_action : s1 { actions { d : display_directory -n %P0     }}
    trigger_action : s2 { actions { d : display_directory -n %D0 %P0 }}
    trigger_action : s* { actions { b : mfyi -n xdtalert "Doing that has no effect." }}
  }
}

Martin Timmerman                    E-mail: mtimm at watserv1.UWaterloo.ca
Computing Services
University of Waterloo              Phone: 519-885-1211 x3403