RS/6000 Tape questions

Ed Ravin eravin at panix.uucp
Tue Apr 23 05:56:56 AEST 1991

1) Under SUN OS 3, there's a handy dandy utility called "mt" which lets you
skip ahead or back on a tape with several files written on it.  For example,

# mt fsf 2

Would skip forward 2 file marks on the tape.  But a peek through Info
Intruder revealed only the device driver interface to do same via ioctl().
Does AIX give you a command to manipulate the tape or shall I have to
go write one myself?

2) My IBM 1/4" tape drive will let me read DC-300 XL tapes written on my
Sun 3/160, but won't let me write on them (write: invalid argument).  It
would be nice to recycle this big stack of DC-300 cartridges lying around.
Can anyone explain what's happening here?
--
Ed Ravin            | I'm sorry, sir, but POSTAL REGULATIONS don't allow
cmcl2!panix!eravin  | PLASTIC tape over PAPER tape and NYLON cord on an