AIX compliance?

Richard M. Mathews richard at locus.com
Fri Apr 12 19:26:11 AEST 1991

willis at cs.athabascau.ca (Tony Willis) writes:

>Can AIX be considered either Sys V or BSD Unix compliant? I gather
>that its really neither, and that IBM has decided to essentially
>develop its own independent version of Unix, but I'd appreciate
>comments from those who are more in the know than I am.

IBM had not developed "its own independent version of Unix."  AIX does
have some unique features, but it is built on top of a merged SysV/BSD/POSIX
system.

I believe the following applies to all AIX platforms, but I am more
certain about the PS/2 and 370 than the RT and 6000.

AIX passes some level of SVVS (System V Verification Suite).  I'm not
sure if that is Release 2 or 3 these days.  There is no real standard
against which one can test BSD compliance, but AIX does claim to be
"consistent" with BSD, including job control, utilities, sockets, system
calls, libraries, signals, long file names, and C shell.  I port stuff
from SysV and from BSD often, and I rarely have trouble.

Disclaimer: This is based on my opinions and my occasionally faulty
memory.  I do not speak for Locus or IBM.

Richard M. Mathews			D efend
richard at locus.com			 E stonian-Latvian-Lithuanian
lcc!richard at seas.ucla.edu		  I ndependence
...!{uunet|ucla-se|turnkey}!lcc!richard