AIX PS/2 and third party disks

Anssi Porttikivi porttiki at cs.Helsinki.FI
Sat Apr 27 01:58:08 AEST 1991

Hello!

May I please ask all concerned people if anyone knows
anything about 3rd party hard disks on PS/2 AIX.

Problem is:

Our student computer shop sold a big (600 Mb) external
SCSI disk for AIX use on a PS/2 Model 70.  Only to find
that PS/2 AIX doesn't support SCSI on Model 70.

Then we found that the new version 1.2.1 does the job.
But the upgrade costs too much - at least here in
Finland.

Luckily the customer found some use for the SCSI disk
as NFS server on some other machine.

But his Model 70 desperately needs more disk space than
the internal 60 Mb ESDI.  Now we are considering
internal Seagate 177 Mb ST120E which requires an extra
ESDI controller, eg.  Western Digital WD1007V-MC1.  It
is supposed to work with DOS.

But does it work with AIX? Are you sure? I don't know
and the local IBM will not tell me...

--
Anssi Porttikivi                 Anssi_Porttikivi at cs.helsinki.fi      "I am
Gaudeamus Data Oy (Inc.)         Vuorikatu 5                         Finnished