Paging Space allocation of RS6000

Xiaojian Li lixj at acf4.nyu.edu
Tue Apr 16 14:15:08 AEST 1991

I asked the same question before but got no solution. I guess now that
people have gathered more experiences, so here it is again.

We get tight up on paging space. So we'd like to add a partition to the
paging space. We know how to do it from an external drive. But since the
internal disk that comes with the machine is supposed to be a fast one,
we really want to have the extra paging space on that one. The internal
disk hdisk0 has been partitioned into / /usr /tmp. We have about 100MB
free on /usr, so we decided to free it up and get a partition out of it.
But I CAN NOT EVEN UMOUNT IT!

Is there any crucial file on /usr that it is not allowed to be touched?
What will happen if I don't have /usr filesystem? (that needs to be the
case, I may backup entire /usr, then distroy it, repartition, then restore).

Thanks in advance for any help.

Xiaojian