what happened to the beep on my RS/6000?

Leland Woodbury leland at cs.columbia.edu
Fri Apr 19 01:12:31 AEST 1991

I'm running Motif/XWindows under AIX on an RS/6000 with the 6091-19
monitor.  A couple of days ago, I noticed that the thing wouldn't
beep.  I could tell xterm to do a visual beep instead, and that worked,
so I knew that xterm was getting the beep.  I figured I'd probably
hit some magic key sequence to silence the beep at the hardware level.
Yesterday I hit some other magic key sequence (the last key I remember
hitting was the Caps Lock) and the damn thing beeped incessantly for
several minutes, then stopped, as if all the beeps for the past day
or so of silence had been getting buffered and now were released.
I've never seen anything like this before, and since I don't want to
inadvertently silence the beep again, I'd like to understand it.
Can anyone explain this behavior?

Subject #2: While we're at it, can anyone explain how the keyboard may
be remapped?  (I know how to do it at the X Windows level, but is there
a way to do it at the hardware or AIX level?)  In particular, I want to
move Ctrl to the Caps Lock position and lose Caps Lock altogether.  (Who
designs these things, anyway?)

Thanks.

Leland Woodbury
INTERNET: leland at cs.columbia.edu
  USENET: ...!columbia!cs.columbia.edu!leland
  BITNET: leland%cs.columbia.edu at cuvmb
  USMAIL: Columbia Univ., 457 CS, 500 W. 120 St., NYC 10027-6699