It works everywhere else, but not on AIX

Craig Miller dcm at codesmith.austin.ibm.com
Thu Apr 18 00:08:04 AEST 1991

In article <1991Apr16.183547 at ibmpa.awdpa.ibm.com> bob at ibmpa.awdpa.ibm.com (Bob Andrews) writes:

>I found that df works just fine...as long as user bin has access to the
>directory you were cd'ed into.  If not, well, df is setuid to bin, and
>it fails.

	Well, df *used* to be setuid to bin.  Don't ask me why.  Maybe
	/dev/hd* were all readable by bin and someone wanted to do df's
	on unmounted filesystems?  Heck, I don't know.

	We fixed that a few releases back, I believe.  It also caused
	some weird NFS errors...

		Craig
Craig Miller			Internet:	dcm at aixwiz.austin.ibm.com
IBM Austin			Vnet:		tkg007 at ausvmq
AIXV3 Change Team (level3)	IBM internal:	dcm at littleguy.austin.ibm.com
"I do not represent IBM or any other respectable company."