cron mail about new mail

Robin Wilson robin at pensoft.uucp
Tue Apr 30 01:20:52 AEST 1991

In article <704 at curly.appmag.com> pa at appmag.com (Pierre Asselin) writes:
>OK, I give up.  How do I stop cron from sending mail to uucp to tell it
>that it has new mail ?  I'm at 3002.  If this is fixed in 300[35], I'll
>just wait for 3005.
>
>  --Pierre Asselin, R&D, Applied Magnetics Corp.  I speak for me.

In your mail 'aliases' file (/usr/lib/aliases) set the "uucp" accounts to
forward all of their mail to root.  Then when something sends mail to the
"uucp" accounts, it will forward to the root user account.  BTW, cron will
envoke a "bourne" shell to run any commands.  If there is output from any
part of the "command" (including the envocation of the shell - hence the
message: "the output from you cron command: ... [YOU HAVE MAIL]") will be
mailed to the user who owns the crontab file.  Make sure that the shell
has no "output" and you will not have any mail from cron.

|The views expressed herein, are the sole responsibility of the typist at hand|
|UUCP:     pensoft!robin                                                      |
|USNail:   701 Canyon Bend Dr.                                                |
|          Pflugerville, TX  78660                                            |
|          Home: (512)251-6889      Work: (512)343-1111                       |