Questions On Resource Allocation And Groups In AIX

Jon Alperin jona at iscp.Bellcore.COM
Mon Apr 22 10:37:48 AEST 1991

In article <!REBF3B at linac.fnal.gov>, looi at sutro.SFSU.EDU (W. W. Looi) writes:

|> I was delegated to perform system administration job while we're in the

          ^^^^^^^^ Is that delegated or relegated?

|> process of hiring a fulltime System Administrator (send me resume, if
|> you have system administration experience with AIX), and I have a couple
|> questions regarding resource allocation and groups.
|>
|> May someone enligthen me on how I should go about allocating the following
|> resources? (entries in SMIT)
|>
|> Max File Size
|> Max CPU Time
|> Max Data Segment
|> Max Stack Size
|> Max Core File Size
|> Max Physical Memory

   easy way - edit /etc/security/limits, and make all values multiples
of 1024....Oh yeah, some of these values aren't used until the 3003.18
release. I can't give you any good guesses, since I've been just putting
in incredible numbers until the machine stops giving my users' errors when
the compile and link.

|> I notice there is a default setting in /etc/limits. Is the default
|> setting ideal for a production environment? What about development
|> environment?
|>
|> Another question that I have is about groups. There are 8 default groups
|> in /etc/groups, but I can't seem to find the definition for each of the
|> group. I'm particularly interested in knowing the differences between
|> system and sys, and staff and usr.
|>
|> I appreciate all your time and help.
|>
|> -an inexperienced sysadm
|>
|> p/s Does anyone know IBM is working on a Redbook for System
|> Administrators?

  No..but ask for GC24-3489-00, which is titled "AIX Distributed Environments:
NFS,NCS,RPC, DS Migration, LAN Maintenance, and Everything" (Whew!).

--
Jon Alperin
Bell Communications Research

---> Internet: jona at iscp.bellcore.com
---> Voicenet: (908) 699-8674
---> UUNET: uunet!bcr!jona

* All opinions and stupid questions are my own *