xdm for RS6000s?

Marc Andreessen andreess at mrlaxs.mrl.uiuc.edu
Sat Apr 6 10:03:12 AEST 1991

In article <1991Apr5.233650.3866 at leland.Stanford.EDU> fangchin at elaine31.Stanford.EDU (Chin Fang) writes:
>The console is not much useful without a X on it.  Since we have set up xdm
>for our DECstations, we would like to do the same for RS6000s too. Because I
>am handling this job, I would like to know if anyone has taken this route
>already? If so, could someone tell me how straightforward it is?

For what it's worth, if you compile the X11R4 distribution with the
patches provided by Dan Greening in export.lcs.mit.edu:/contrib,
you'll get an xdm binary.  As to whether or not it works correctly,
I couldn't say.

>Finally, I also wonder why so many people are willing to put up IBM?  It
>didn't even provide MOST standard X11R4 clients from the core distribution!
>Not even xkill.  Why IBM dares to do this?  Just because it's big?  I have
>seen people flame Sun and the like, why IBM can get by doing this kind of
>silly thing?  Unless I am wrong somehow.

Well, IBM only ships X11R3 so far.  And, with Greening's patches
all the X11R4 clients seem to work fine.

>This is not to say that I don't like the machine.  On the contrary, other
>then the STUPID flickering display in graphic mode [...]

What stupid flickering display?

Marc

--
Marc Andreessen___________University of Illinois Materials Research Laboratory