Installing SLIP

John Warburton john at chook.ua.oz
Tue Apr 2 11:57:28 AEST 1991

>From article <1991Mar28.155736.2688 at rock.concert.net>, by rmccoy at rock.concert.net (Ron McCoy - Yale Security):
> I'm trying to set up SLIP on a couple of RS/6000's. Please be
> gentle, I'm new at this and RTFM'ing as fast as I can.

Unfortunately TFM is pretty useless :-(

> Everything seems to go OK until I try to start up the connection.
> slattach is running on TTY1 with the right baud and modem
> initialization string. DTR comes on on the modem, but nothing else.
> There are no characters being sent to the modem. I tried out my
> modem switch settings first by using them for straight dialin
> (getty) from one box to the other. That works fine.

mmm mmm - sounds just like me last week.
Well - I rang up Mr IBM and (finally) got a copy of their fix for this.
You must be running 3003 for this to work though...
ok - checklist:
	1) TCP/IP installed
	2) tty configured properly for the modem. Also you should add "clocal"
	  to "stty attributes for run time" when configuring the tty.
	3) make sure modem and tty can connect properly (just use ate or
	  something similar).
	4) create the SLIP devices as usual
	5) Edit /usr/lib/uucp/Devices and insert the following line:
		Direct ttyX - <modem speed> direct
	6) disable the tty: pdisable ttyX
	7) on the remote host issue the following command to set up one end
	  of the SLIP connection:
	  NOTE: DO THIS FIRST!!!!
		/etc/slattach /dev/ttyX
	8) on the local host, start the other end of the connection with:
		/etc/slattach /dev/ttyX 9600 '"" ATDT8391 CONNECT ""'
	  using \r for carriage return is not currently supported, but will be
	  RSN.
	  of course plug in your tty and phone numbers.
	9) pat yourself on the back as it is now working!

Thanks to the IBM support centre for their help...

> Ron McCoy
> Rmccoy at rock.concert.net

John Warburton

John Warburton                          Phone   : +61 8 228 5583
Department of Computer Science          Telex   : UNIVAD AA89141
University of Adelaide                  Fax     : +61 8 223 1206
GPO Box 498 Adelaide SA 5001            ACSnet  : john at cs.adelaide.edu.au