Need information on getprocinfo()

John F Haugh II jfh at greenber.austin.ibm.com
Sat Apr 6 04:41:21 AEST 1991

In article <1991Apr05.041016.23870 at edm.uucp> geoff at edm.uucp (Geoff Coleman) writes:
>In article <19134 at rpp386.cactus.org> jfh at rpp386.cactus.org (John F Haugh II) writes:
>>You should call the IBM support number that you have.  They have been
>>asked this question a thousand times and have exactly the information
>>you are requesting.  The interface was initially not documented because
>>it wasn't to be used by user applications.  Obviously user's think it
>>is useful, so they are using it ;-)
>
>	Yes but will it be around for long. After a lot of begging ,
>pleading I got a copy of the man page for this faxed to me. But the person
>who faxed it to me made very clear that 1) the call is not supported (ie.
>use at your own risk) and 2) the call may not survive long in AIX 3.1.?????

Please don't make the assumption that the system call or the system call
interface will "be around for [a] long" time.  That is exactly the reasoning
I was given when I requested permission initially to release the getprocinfo()
interface information.  The reason for keeping the interface "unsupported"
is to allow development to change the interface for whatever reasons they
may come up with.

Without giving examples, it is possible that a more/better/different
interface may be dreamt up at some point in the future, and having it be a
"supported" interface would prevent any non-compatible changes from being
made.

So, use it at your own risk - and let IBM know that you find the system
call useful, so they will be encouraged to begin supporting it.  This is
the kind of feedback IBM likes to hear.

DISCLAIMER: I don't speak for IBM or LCC or any other organization.
--
John F. Haugh II      |      I've Been Moved     |    MaBellNet: (512) 838-4340
SneakerNet: 809/1D064 |          AGAIN !         |      VNET: LCCB386 at AUSVMQ