FAQ about AIX

Cary E. Burnette kerm at mcnc.org
Tue Apr 9 02:22:10 AEST 1991

I have a couple of questions about AIX, they
may have been answered, but I missed them.

First I have 5 RS/6000's that are running 3003
AIX.

Questions:

1. How do you put multiple backups (inode method) on a single 8mm
   tape? I have tried using a no rewind device, but it still rewinds
   and I can space over the initial file.

2. If you are running name server can you make the network services
   check the /etc/hosts file first. My RS/6000 LAN has an unreliable
   link to its nameserver. When this link is down I still want to be able
   to communicate within the RS/6000 LAN. Know when the link is down I
   have to wait a long time for telnet to time-out and try the /etc/hosts
   file. Most of the traffic is among the RS/6000's and since it is small
   I do not want to set up one as a nameserver. But on the few occasions
   that I do want to go out on the internet I want to have the name server
   available.

3. We have installed resource license manager (RLM) and it is started on every
   reboot. We know want to disable it. I have looked through all of the rc
   files and it is not started in any of them. I have seen something about
   ODM database, but cannot find anyfiles related to this. Can someone
   help remove this process.

Thank you for any assistance.

Cary Burnette
(kerm at linus.ncat.edu)

# North Carolina Agricultural & Technical State University  #
# Department of Electrical Engineering                      #
# McNair Hall                                               #
# Greensboro, NC 27411                                      #
# (919)334-7760                                             #