Making A request to IBM

Robin Wilson robin at pensoft.uucp
Fri Apr 5 00:38:27 AEST 1991

In article <6378 at awdprime.UUCP> moody at snap.austin.ibm.com writes:
>In article <1991Mar23.144908.9009 at bellcore.bellcore.com> jona at iscp.Bellcore.COM (Jon Alperin) writes:
>>2. When I call IBM and report a bug, I sometimes get a patch number. ....,
>>....Does IBM distribute just a single fix?
>
>Yes.  Level 3 support develops hundreds of single fix requests.  We sometimes
>get double fix requests.  We store these things on a big server that is
>available to level 2.  The fixes are stored by problem number.  If the level 2
>support person can associate your problem with a problem number, then they can
>send you a fix immediately for that problem.  If the problem is a kernel
>panic, you can send a dump and level 2 or level 3 should be able to determine
>if this is a known problem and you can request a fix for it (whether it's
>known or not, if we can fix it).  The most critical thing is that the problem
>is described and understood well enough to be found in the data base or
>debugged.

Actually, this needs clarification.  The "single" fixes to which James refers
are what Level 2 calls "Emergency Fixes".  These are only available for a
specific problem until the fix is "built" into an update, and then Level 2
will only ship the update to fix the problem.  You cannot get an "Emergency
Fix" for a problem that is "fixed" in an available update.

|The views expressed herein, are the sole responsibility of the typist at hand|
|UUCP:     pensoft!robin                                                      |
|USNail:   701 Canyon Bend Dr.                                                |
|          Pflugerville, TX  78660                                            |
|          Home: (512)251-6889      Work: (512)343-1111                       |