Setting uninitialized values to NaN in a Fortran program

Kenneth P. Bowman bowman at uiatma.atmos.uiuc.edu
Wed Apr 17 06:10:12 AEST 1991

I have an ugly Fortran code that I am porting to my 6000/320.  I would like
to set all data values not initialized in data statements to NaN in the
hope of generating error messages if uninitialized variables are used.  At
present, variables are apparently initialized to zero by the loader.  I
have searched the xlf and ld commands for an option to set uninitialized
variables to NaN, but have been unable to find anything.  Anyone out there
have any sugestions?

Dr. Kenneth P. Bowman, Assistant Professor     bowman at uiatma.atmos.uiuc.edu
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign     bowman at uiucvmd.bitnet
Department of Atmospheric Sciences             217-333-7105
105 S. Gregory Avenue                          217-244-4393 fax
Urbana, IL   61801